Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy January One xx


A new year, a cold, a project and a new love. I'll work backwards: my new love and one that I think a lot of others would share and just not realise it yet, is pickles. I love the ol' pickled cucumber, it makes me extra happy when you have to fish for the last ones in the bottom of the jar. It sounds silly now I write it down, but the humble pickle makes me smile and I think it has everything to do with my Hungarian roots. So I've been looking and here's a recipe I've found which I'm going to try out:
Pickled cucumbers
Makes 3-litre (12 cup) jar
Ingredients
750g small Lebanese cucumbers
2/3 cup fresh dill leaves
2 tsp black peppercorns
750ml (3 cups) water
125ml (1/2 cup) white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbs coarse salt
Method
Wash the cucumbers and dry well. Thinly slice and layer in a clean, dry 3 litre (12 cup) jar alternately with the dill and peppercorns.
Combine the water, vinegar and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat, then carefully pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers in the jar. Seal the jar immediately. Set aside for at least 1 week to pickle before serving. Store the jar at room temperature until opened.
Notes & tips
prep: 10 mins (+ 1 week pickling time)
Keep for up to 6 months unopened. Once opened, keep in the fridge for up to 8 weeks.
Yay!
My new project is to knit on circular needles. I'm off to buy them today because it must be better than having to sew a seam into beanies. I have completed my Salvo's beanie and now I'm on to knitting one for F. It's going to be green and floppy. I hope circular needles aren't frustratingly hard. Oh and I have a cold and so I'm a little homesick and a little snotty. What I wouldn't give for an afternoon walking my dog with my sis and my mum on the beach. But, mountains of snow and work will have to do for now.
Pinch and a punch for the first day of the month!
xx

No comments: