Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My first Quilt

I made a quilt for a new little bundle of joy that Mr JPB's sister assisted into the world last Thursday his name is Darcy (I know, so cute) and I made him a quilt with dinosaurs on it. I can't wait to meet him, I hope he likes it.
Front:

Back:Folded: It was my first ever quilt and was pretty easy, I used all flannel because it was softer than the regular 100% cotton and they lady told me I had to make it out of 100% cotton. I was very careful to cut the squares out the right size and to sew them together all the same so that my lines wouldn't be too wonky. I stitched in the ditch for the "quilting" part because I didn't want to ruin it by stitching crazy patterns. After cutting the squares and sewing them together I sewed it to the wadding and the backing material and then sewed on the ribbon edging. All in all it didn't take me that long no more than a couple of hours and the material wasn't that expensive but the wadding that is in the middle layer - that thing that makes it a quilt and not just 2 pieces of material sewn together - cost $20/m which made the project a little costly especially considering it's only about 100cm x 80cm.

I think the next one will be for my bed and bigger - it's cold down here in Victoria! As a note, I did feel about 100 years old making a quilt, so something I never thought I would do!

xx

No comments: